Current Favorite Recipes:
Rice Cakes Recipe:
- 2 1/2 c. Leeks (diced)
- 1 c. Carrots (diced)
- 1 c. Celery (diced)
- 1 T. Garlic (minced)
- 3 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 c. Brown Rice Flour
- 1 1/2 c. Gluten Free Flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3 c. Five-Rice Mixed (Lundberg) – cooked
- 4 c. Soy Milk (plain)
- 1/2 c. Chopped Fresh Basil
- 1/4 c. Chopped Parsley
- 2 T. Dijon Mustard
- 2 T. Lemon Juice
- 1 T. Baking Power Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg to taste
Heat pan and add olive oil, leeks and garlic. Saute over medium heat for five minutes. Add carrots and celery and continue to saute for seven to 10 minutes. Add dijon mustard, then cook until soft.
Set aside to cool. Mix flours and liquid. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add five-rice mix, basil, parsley, lemon juice, salt, pepper, nutmeg and baking power. Mix thoroughly. Take a 1/4 cup and make into a patty. Cook cakes in well-oiled skillet.
Fox 2 TV show with Chef Thomas Lasher preparing the Rice Cakes:
Sweet Potato Miso Sauce Recipe:
- 3 c. Sweet Potato Puree
- 2 c. Onion
- 1/2 c. Roasted Garlic
- 1/4 c. White Miso
- 3 c. Liquid Salt and Pepper to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Saute onion in olive oil for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown. Add roasted garlic. Blend sweet potato puree and white miso with liquid to desired consistency. Add to onion mixture and simmer for five minutes (do not boil). Drizzle over cakes.
Braised Tofu with Quinoa and Asparagus
- 1 block tofu sliced into 12 triangles
- One half cup of sliced shallots
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to coat pan
- 2 tablespoons Mirin (Rice Wine)
- 2 tablespoons Tamari (Aged Wheat Free Soy Sauce)
- 1/2 cup stock or water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon mustard
- 12 asparagus spears
- 8 basil leaves
- Fresh parsley and chives to taste
- 2 cup cooked Quinoa
Add sliced tofu to heated pan with olive oil. Brown tofu on both sides, and then add shallots continuing on medium heat. When shallots begin to brown (3 – 5 minutes) add Mirin, stock, tamari, mustard, and lemon juice.
Bring to boil and cover, then turn heat down to simmer until the liquid reduces by half. Add asparagus, basil, and parsley, simmering three to four minutes until asparagus is just tender.
Serve with Quinoa and garnish with fresh chopped chives.
Shiitake Butternut Ragout
INN SEASON CAFÉ’S SHIITAKE BUTTERNUT RAGOUT
- * 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- * 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- * 1/2 cup diced shallots
- * 2 cups leeks, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- * 4 cups fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- * 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- * 1 cup white wine
- * 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- * 6-7 whole sage leaves
- * 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- * 2 tablespoons shogu (soy sauce)
- * Salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a pan, add garlic and shallots, and sauté for 30 seconds. Add leeks and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add shiitake mushrooms and butternut squash, and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add wine, shoyu, mustard, sage and thyme.
Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until butternut squash is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with pasta, couscous or wild rice.